Shawn D. Rochester
Awards and Recognition
- Selected as one of the top 100 human rights defenders for the International Human Rights Commission Relief Fund Trust 2019 Almanac
- Received citation from the New York City Council and the New York State Assembly for community impact and economic development
- Recipient of the BOWS (Blacks on Wall Street) Dick Rowland Award for Outstanding Service
- Recipient of the HORD (Helping Others Reach their Dream) Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award
- Led a Connecticut based nonprofit to help transform life outcomes for economically disadvantaged youth in Danbury Connecticut by providing them with a great education through its private all boys middle school, after school & summer school programs and formal mentoring programs.
- Worked with another Connecticut based nonprofit to award over USD $2,000,000 to Black students pursuing a college education.
Served as a trusted advisor to a General Manager responsible for USD $10B within the Global Communications Sector
Drove the strategic planning process for a $1.2B portfolio of businesses which helped to provided incremental growth opportunities for 17 businesses within the IT and Datacom marketplace
Developed the acquisition strategy and executed deals which included target identification, business case development, due diligence, deal structuring, negotiating definitive agreements and integration at the group level and across a portfolio of business units
Managed the Strategic Planning process for the 17 Emerging Businesses Opportunities (EBOs) contributing over $10B of revenue and ensured that each business received the requisite investment to achieve the revenue projections for the following year
Managed multi-billion dollar foreign exchange hedging programs within the treasury group of a Global IT firm
Developed a deep understanding of the global competitive landscape having spent 6 years travelling extensively to 25 cities in 10 countries across Asia and Europe in pursuit of new organic and inorganic growth opportunities
Past Speaking Engagements
- University of Rochester
- Cornell University
- Hofstra University
- State University of NY at Brockport
- Hampton University
- JP Morgan Chase
- TV One
- Pivotal Software
US Based Organizations
- New York City Department of Small Business Services
- US Coast Guard Pacific Command
- Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation
- Harlem Business Alliance
- One Hundred Black Men (NYC)
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., (Western Region, Eastern Region, Nationals)
- National Black MBA Association (New York Metro)
- City of Bridgeport (Largest City in Connecticut)
- Connecticut chapter of the National Organization of Black
- Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE)
- Queens Central Library
- Oak Bluffs MA, Public Library
- The United Nations
- The Executive Leadership Council
Online Presentations on The Black Tax
Source: https://afrotech.com/the-black-tax-and-tech-a-conversation-at-afrotech-2019 The Black Tax — defined as the financial cost of discrimination against Black people in the American economic industry deserves its time in the spotlight. This theory developed by...
AllianceBernstein Examines “The Black Tax: The Cost of Being Black in America” During Black History Month
On February 27th, AllianceBernstein's Black Employee Resource Group hosted financial coach and author, Shawn Rochester and over 150 guests for an insightful discussion on Shawn's recently released book, "The Black Tax: The Cost of Being Black in America". While Black...
Armed with the tools of modern finance, engineer and businessman Shawn Rochester ’97 offers an accounting. Interview by Karen McCally ’02 (PhD) Source: https://www.rochester.edu/pr/Review/V80N5/0601_rochester.html The premise isn’t new: engineer and business executive...
Author and personal finance consultant Shawn Rochester, ’02, discusses how to address the financial costs of conscious and unconscious antiblack discrimination. Personal finance consultant Shawn Rochester, ’02, noticed something curious about the many studies and...
Brooklyn Savvy Online with Host Toni Williams
- Shawn D Rochester – CEO of Good Steward LLC, Founder of PHD Enterprises and The IDEA Institute
- Maria DeLongoria PhD – Interim Executive Director, Caribbean Research Center, Associate Professor Of History
- Phyllis Thorne – Faculty Consultant at The Sanctuary Institute
- Colvin Grannum – President & CEO of the Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation
The Black Tax: Video Interview w/ Jamila Souffrant & Shawn Rochester
A History of Anti-Black Bias in America and the Financial Impact of the Black Tax with Shawn D. Rochester
Get Your PHD and Bridge the Wealth Gap with Shawn D. Rochester
Changing the Trajectory Podcast
Changing the Trajectory is a podcast hosted by James Seth Thompson Senior Vice President and Head of Diverse Market Strategy at AllianceBerstein that seeks to inspire and empower meaningful generational planning and legacy building through intentional and deliberate action. Featuring roundtable discussions that highlight multicultural markets and communities as breeding grounds for success and change, we offer fresh perspectives on responsibility and investing
Ross Files with Dave Ross Podcast
Broadcast legend Dave Ross, winner of multiple Edward R. Murrow Awards for excellence in journalism has been getting emails about the current protests: emails saying that the civil rights movement is behind us, and justice has already been achieved. That things aren’t that bad.
So why is the average net worth of a white family nearly 10x greater than that of a Black family?
To help address the comments raised in those emails, Dave invited Shawn Rochester on his Podcast The Ross Files to discuss the Wealth Gap in America and provide a brief history of economic inequality in US. It was a robust and powerful conversation.
Shawn Rochester, A Brief History of the Black Wealth Gap in America
Fill out the form below to request Shawn as a speaker for your next event.